Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 8: Captains.Row.


Yes, another picture from Old Town! I just love this street and think it makes for such a pretty place to start my runs every day. I always wondered why there are random streets in Old Town that are cobblestone and don't allow trucks to enter, so I came home and did some research. This portion of the road (Prince St.) is called Captains Row and was built in 1783. I never cared too much for history, but I think it's pretty cool that those stones were laid out over 200 years ago. Some of the houses (Federal Style) on the street were built in the late 1700s by sea captains (these are all marked with the Historic Alexandria Foundation plaques). I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture, but straight ahead is the Potomac River. The only thing that would make this better is if all the cars would disappear but I don't have a cool enough photo editing program to take them away!

No comments:

Post a Comment